the river


last week
my dad, dog and I went canyoning.
in the potamic.
he lifted that big green canoe he got from a friend twenty years ago onto the car
I lifted my dog onto my lap,
petting him until I stopped because he was shedding so much his hair was flying into my dad's face.
we went to the big open concrete space that leads into the water
my dad brought the canoe down into the water
and I tried to hop into the boat
but I slipped
the boat rocked side to side,
my dog looking a little disoriented
we paddled into the main area, going under the bridge and working our way around logs,
and every few minutes my dad would call out
GBH!
or
BALD EAGLE
he knows most of the birds in the area,
but I'm better at spotting animals.
we see several turtles and snakes, and a beaver
as we paddle,
my dad makes sure we pick up every piece of trash we see,
including a car tire.
there's a piece of plastic we discover has eggs on it.
once we get back to the car, we research the eggs
they are freshwater snails.




~Natalie
I write descriptive poetry for the imaginative and include original photos. I hope you enjoyed my writing! Post a comment if you have any ideas or questions!  For recipes and culinary writing, visit Cooking Under Quarantine, my cooking blog. 


Comments