Fear




*Warning: I wrote this during a tough period last year, I would have nightmares and anxiety about school shooters/ intruders. So if you are sensitive to that, this might not be the best for you.*

They say
Nothing To Fear Nothing Will Happen
but when I sit at my desk and hear banging and shouting
There is something for me to fear.
if it's recess and I hear
a noise,
I am scared,
petrified.
My heart stops beating
And my lungs too
stop working
And I freeze.
I freeze as though one movement and
Bang
There I am.
Lying on the ground
Not the first
Not the last
In the bathroom,
I think
All the ways I could
Get out of here.
In class I hear chairs moving upstairs
Everyone Okay?
stares.
Everyone furious,
Don't Remind Me That Can Happen,
their stares say.
And I know.
I know I'm not the only one.
I'm not the first to freeze.
I'm not the first to worry.
I'm not the first to feel as if I am dying.
I'm not the last, either.



~Natalie

I write descriptive poetry for the imaginative and include original photos. I hope you enjoyed my writing! Post a comment if you have any ideas or questions!  For recipes and culinary writing, visit Cooking Under Quarantine, my cooking blog. 

Comments